Metadata defines the fields (columns) of a document library for the content type and a specific table setup. For the Document Box’s actions File Upload, Show Metadata and Edit Metadata, only the configured fields will be shown in the Document Metadata Dialog.
Furthermore, Metadata provides the document with additional information to filter and find the documents for the Document Box and in SharePoint. The information sources (Field Class) can either be record specific, looked up or system values.
Options for specific fields
The options are:
- Constant – Enter a user-defined constant (fixed value) that will be used for upload as default.
- Field – Use the Fields Lookup in the Value Field field to select a field value of the current record (table setup) that will be used as the default value.
- Formula – Enter a date formula that is calculated before uploading a document.
- Lookup – Use the Fields Lookup in the Value Field field to retrieve a value from another record from any Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central table. The target record can either be a filtered single result or selected by the user from a page.
After entering the target Table ID in the Lookup Table No. field, the Value Field field shows all fields of the target table. Select the field and then choose the AssistEdit button to filter the target table.
Enter a value in the Lookup Page ID field to show the filtered result in a page and make the user select the target record. Without a value in the Lookup Page ID field, depending on the Lookup Action field, the value of the first record or the last record in the filtered list will be used as default value, or no value at all.
The options are:
- Standard – The field (and thereby its value) are always visible.
- Extended – The field will be invisible unless the user chooses Show All Metadata on the DMS Document Metadata Dialog.
- Hidden – The field is always invisible but the value will be uploaded or modified in the background.
Submit feedback for.