Catalog Item Processing
Catalog Items can be added to BoQ Budget Calculations and then transferred to the purchase quotes during procurement processing. Catalog items can also be added manually to purchase quotes. But as in standard Dynamics Business Central 365, you cannot make an order until a normal item exists for the catalog item.
To add a catalog item to the BoQ Budget Calculation or purchase quote, you must define a Component Code Catalog Item in the Project Construction Setup page (see Project Construction Setup). The general component must have posting groups and a job calculation group.
Add a catalog item to BoQ Budget Calculation
To use catalog items in the BoQ Budget Calculation, use the Personalize function to add the Catalog Item No. field to the page.
- Choose the icon, enter Jobs (Construction), and then choose the related link.
- Select the job and then choose the Budget Calculation action on the Calculation menu.
- Create a new level or position and then enter the catalog item in the Catalog Item No. field. The Type field is automatically set to General and the No. field is set to the component code specified in Project Construction Setup.
The cost from the catalog item is transferred to the budget calculation line. If multiple prices were assigned, the best price concept is used so the lowest price is transferred. You can make or change calculations as you would with a normal item.
The information entered in the BoQ Budget Calculation is available in the BoQ Position Card. You can manually add the catalog items in the BoQ Position Card but will need to add the Catalog Item No. field using the Personalize function.
Transfer catalog items to PQM
Catalog items can be transferred from the BoQ Budget Calculation to the PQM. From the BoQ Budget Calculation, choose PQM > Create PQM on the Related menu. The line includes the Catalog Item No. and pricing from the BoQ Budget Calculation as well as the following information:
- Type field is automatically set to G/L Account
- No. field is set to the corresponding G/L account from the component code
- Source Vendor No. from the Catalog Item Card
As in the standard process, assign the vendors to include in the PQM process and then create the purchase quotes. The quotes are created using the Catalog Item No. in the lines.
Use catalog items in procurement
Catalog items can be used in procurement lines for quote processing:
- Job Planning and Processing page – you can plan and release a catalog item if Procurement Channel = Quote
- Job Procurement Planning page – you can release a line with a catalog item if Procurement Channel = Quote
Other procurement channels with catalog items can be planned but not released because a normal item is required (see Replace Catalog Items).
Use catalog items in purchase quotes
- Choose the icon, enter Purchase Quotes, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the New action to create a new purchase quote.
- Fill in the vendor name and then in the lines, enter the catalog item in the Catalog Item No. field. The Type field is automatically set to G/L Account and the No. field is set to the corresponding G/L account from the component code specified in Project Construction Setup.
- Fill in the quantity and cost.
The Make Order function will not create a purchase order because you need a normal item (see Replace Catalog Items).
Create item for catalog item
Before you can use the catalog item in a purchase order (from either procurement or a purchase quote), you must create a normal item for it. There are two ways of creating an item for a catalog item:
- Use the Create Item function in the Catalog Item Card
- Use the Replace Catalog Items function in the Job Processing Procurement, Job Procurement Planning, and Purchase Quote
The Create Item function uses the same logic as standard Microsoft Dynamics Business Central 365. In addition to the standard fields that are transferred, the values from the Manufacturer Code, Manufacturer Model, and Manufacturing No. fields are transferred to these fields on the Item FastTab on the Item Card.
Additionally, the net price and special price from the Catalog Item Card are transferred to the purchase prices. If a catalog item includes only a list price (Published Cost field), this value is transferred to the Last Direct Cost field on Item Card.
Replace Catalog Items
The Replace Catalog Items function searches for and suggests an existing item that matches certain criteria or will give the option of creating an item. The general criteria are the GTIN, Manufacturer Model, and Manufacturer No. fields.
This function is accessible on the:
- Job Budget Calculation, Job Planning and Processing, Job Processing Procurement, and Job Procurement Planning by choosing Functions > Replace Catalog Items on the Actions menu
- Purchase Quote by choosing Functions > Replace Catalog Items on the Lines FastTab
The Replace Catalog Item Worksheet page lists all catalog items that are in the calculation, planning, procurement, or quote lines. The Action field shows the suggested process for each catalog item. The options are:
- Create Item – used when no items are found that match the criteria. An item is created for the catalog item using the same logic from the function on the Catalog Item Card.
- Assign Item – used with the Suggest Item function to manually search all items that matches any of the criteria. You can also use this setting to manually enter an item in the Item No. field.
- Replace by Item – used if the search finds an item that has been created for the catalog item. This option cannot be changed nor can it be selected.
The Check Catalog Items function confirms that there are no issues before running the Carry Out Action function. For example, to make sure that the catalog item has a unit of measure, item template code, vendor number, and vendor item number. On the Related menu, choose the Catalog Item Card action to open the Catalog Item Card if you need to make any updates or check any settings.
When the Carry Out Action function is run, the general component or G/L account in the calculation, planning, procurement or quote line is replaced by the new or chosen item. Any issues found are shown in the Error Text field.
The Create Item and Carry Out Action functions do not perform a system-wide replacement of catalog items. If a new item is created and the same catalog item is used in other calculation, planning, procurement or quote lines, you will need to run the Replace Catalog Items function for it to find the new item.
Using catalog items with assigned item
If a catalog item with an assigned normal item is added to a calculation or purchase quote line, then the normal item number is used and the Catalog Item No. field is cleared.
Submit feedback for.